Sunday, May 19, 2013
There's never a slow news week in Jackson, Miss., and last week was no exception. Here are the local stories JFP reporters brought you in case you missed them:
- Myrlie Evers-Williams, widow of civil rights leader Medgar Evers, attended a 50th commemoration of Medgar's assassination Thursday morning in Jackson.
- Two days before Jackson voters returned to the polls to pick the city's next mayor, businessman Jonathan Lee's campaign attempted to define rival Councilman Chokwe Lumumba as a non-Christian, anti-American police-hater.
- Records indicate that the University of Mississippi Medical Center may be the mystery contractor mayoral candidate Jonathan Lee won't name.
- On Election Day last week, 35 percent of Jackson voters said Jonathan Lee was their top choice for mayor of Jackson. Another 24 percent said Chokwe Lumumba was their choice. Those numbers are almost certain to change some for the May 21 runoff, but how much they will change and why they might change has yet to be determined.
- Under Mississippi Sunshine Laws, candidates seeking the nomination of a party in a municipal election must file a report with the city clerk if they receive any donations of $200 or more after the tenth day, but more than 48 hours before 12:01 a.m. on the day of the election.
- Jackson has taken steps since receiving a 2009 consent decree from the U.S. Department of Justice following a lawsuit brought against its public transportation system JATRAN by disabled citizens who complained that the city wasn't in compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act.
- Four of Jackson's seven sitting City Council members have, for all intents and purposes, been re-elected, but two seats have yet to be decided headed into the May 21 primary runoff elections.
- Yates Construction, Spectrum Capital and the state of Mississippi officially broke ground last week on the state's most aggressive commercial outlet to date, The Outlets of Mississippi in Pearl, even though construction has been happening for months.
- Read the JFP's profile on Chokwe Lumumba here.
- Read the JFP's profile on Jonathan Lee here.
Remember: Check the JFP Events planner for everything to do in the Jackson metro area. You can also add your own events (or send them to email@example.com)! See JFPEvents.com
Read staff and reader blog posts at jfp.ms/weblogs (yes, you can register on the site and start your own blog!)