Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today (times EDT):
- THE FULL STORY BEHIND SIKH SHOOTING MAY NEVER BE PUBLIC
With the gunman dead and no trial coming, what investigators uncover about the white supremacist may remain a secret.
- U.S. JOINS WITH VIETNAM TO CLEAN UP AFTER AGENT ORANGE
It marks the first time the American government got directly involved in a remediation project on one of the war's lasting legacies.
- WHAT CHARGES OHIO MAN MIGHT FACE IN SHOOTING OF WIFE IN HOSPITAL BED
While some speculate whether it was a case of a mercy killing, prosecutors will arraign him at 8:30 a.m., deciding whether to try him for attempted murder or a more severe charge.
- ERNESTO SPINS ACROSS YUCATAN PENINSULA
The hurricane weakens to a tropical storm as it moves across the Mexican resort area but is expected to resume hurricane strength when it passes out to sea.
- EGYPT FIRES ON SUSPECTED ISLAMIC MILITANTS IN SINAI
It is the first time that the army has fired missiles in Sinai since Egypt's 1973 war with Israel, officials say.
- TEA PARTY CANDIDATE TO FACE MCCASKILL IN MISSOURI SENATE RACE
Rep. Todd Akin broke out from a three-way primary to get the Republican nomination.
- WHO NXT TXTING CHAMP IZ 2 B
The country's fastest texters face off in New York's Times Square at 2 p.m.
- WHY SKATER NANCY KERRIGAN'S BROTHER WANTS TO GO BACK TO PRISON
Mark Kerrigan will be exempt from alcohol counseling, anger management classes and mental health counseling if a judge decides at a 9 a.m. hearing that he can finish the six months remaining of his jail sentence.
- U.S. HOMEOWNERS GETTING BETTER AT PAYING MORTGAGES
A new report shows the percentage of borrowers who fell behind is at a three-year low.
- TWO RUNNERS WONDER WHO WILL GET THEIR SECOND GOLD
American Sanya Richards-Ross and Jamaican Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce face off in the women's 200 meters, each with the hopes that she will take home another top medal.