Thursday, July 30, 2015
PHILADELPHIA, Miss. (AP) — The cellmate of a Philadelphia man has been charged with murder in his death in the Neshoba County jail.
Sheriff Tommy Waddell says 34-year-old Justin Schlegel was arrested this week in the death of Rexdale Wayne Henry. Waddell says Schlegel was in the cell with Henry when Henry died.
The 53-year-old Henry, a member of the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians, was found dead about 10 a.m. on July 14.
Waddell says Henry was jailed for failing to pay old fines.
Final autopsy results are pending. Waddell declines to say what happened in the cell pending further inquiry by the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation.
Waddell says Henry's family and Choctaw officials have been told about the arrest.
Henry recently ran for the Bogue Chitto community seat on the tribal council.
More like this story
- Fellow Inmate Convicted for Murder of Choctaw Activist in Neshoba Jail
- Earlier Neshoba Jail Death Raises Questions
- Trail of Tears: The Burial of Rexdale Henry
- Family Spokesman: Rexdale Henry's Fines Shouldn't Have Led to Death
- Death of Choctaw Activist Rexdale Henry in Neshoba Jail Prompts Private Autopsy