Wednesday, February 1, 2012
It's Super Bowl XLVI in 46 numbers.
46. Number of sandwiches competing in the Indiana Office of Tourism Development's "Super 46" contest.
45. Largest margin of victory in a Super Bowl: the San Francisco 49ers over San Diego, 55-10, in Super Bowl XXIV.
44. As in Super Bowl XLIV, in which the New Orleans Saints defeated the Indianapolis Colts.
43. Years since the New York Jets have played in a Super Bowl (Super Bowl III in 1969).
42. As in Super Bowl XLII, in which the New York Giants ruined the New England Patriots perfect season.
41. Length in yards of Adam Vinatieri's game-winning field goal over the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl XXVIII.
40. In thousands, the cost of a commercial for Super Bowl I in 1967 ($3.5 million this year).
39. Number of Tom Brady's touchdown passes this season
38. Most rushing attempts in a Super Bowl: John Riggins in Super Bowl XVII.
37. Most points in a fourth quarter: the Patriots' and Panthers' combined in Super Bowl XXVIII.
36. As in Super Bowl XXXVI: New England's first Super Bowl victory over the St. Louis Rams dubbed the "Greatest Show on Turf."
35. Most points scored in one half by a single team: Washington Redskins in Super Bowl XXII.
34. Tom Brady's age entering this year's Super Bowl.
33. Most career Super Bowl catches: Jerry Rice in four Super Bowls.
32. Or 32.2: the Patriots' average points scored this season per game (the Giants averaged 24.6).
31. Rank of New England's total defense
30. In millions, pizzas that will be eaten on Super Bowl Sunday.
29. Wins the Patriots have had since the start of the 2010 season (6 losses).
28. Tom Brady is the only quarterback to win three Super Bowls before reaching this age.
27. New York's rank in total defense.
26. Or 26.8 million people who watched Glee after last year's Super Bowl.
25. As in Super Bowl XXV, in which Whitney Houston sang the National Anthem (considered one of the best Super Bowl renditions ever).
24. Career fourth-quarter comebacks: Tom Brady (entering the Super Bowl).
23. Times an NFL Hall of Famer has won the Super Bowl MVP (among current Hall of Fame players).
22. Jersey number of Tracy Porter, who intercepted a Payton Manning pass and returned it for a touchdown to clinch the Saints' Super Bowl victory in '09.
21. Fewest combined points by teams in a Super Bowl: the Miami Dolphins (14) and Washington Redskins (7) in Super Bowl VII, which capped the Dolphins perfect season.
20. Tom Landry's playoffs wins and the most ever for a coach.
19. Eli Manning's career fourth-quarter comebacks entering the Super Bowl.
18. Or 18.7, Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz's average yards per catch (not the number of Cruz's salsa dances this season).
17. The Patriots' Rob Gronkowski touchdown catches this season, which broke the San Diego Chargers' Antonio Gates' previous record of 13.
16. Career playoff wins for Tom Brady, tied for first with Joe Montana.
15. Wins this season for the New England Patriots (including playoffs).
14. In seconds, the fastest score in Super Bowl history: Chicago Bears' Devin Hester on the opening kickoff return in Super Bowl XLI.
13. Or 13.2 million pounds of avocados to be consumed on Super Bowl Sunday.
12. Wins this season for the New York Giants (including playoffs).
11. Joe Montana's career Super Bowl touchdown passes.
10. Times Miami and New Orleans each host the Super Bowl (including the 2013 Super Bowl for New Orleans).
9. New York defeated New England 24-20 in week nine this season.
8. Number of touchdown passes Eli Manning threw in this postseason to only one interception.
7. Eli Manning's career playoff wins.
6. Most Super Bowl victories for one team, the Pittsburgh Steelers.
5. Bill Belichick and Tom Brady's Super Bowl appearances, most ever by a coach and quarterback combo.
4. Super Bowl rings for Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw, the most for a quarterback.
3. Times in the last four years the last ranked rush team has reached the Super Bowl: Giants (2011), Colts (2009) and Cardinals (2008). The Colts and Cardinals lost.
2. Fewest combined team touchdowns: the New York Jets and Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III.
1. Or 1.25 billion chicken wings that will be consumed on Super Bowl Sunday, or the number of times Indianapolis has hosted the Super Bowl.
I really hate the Giants and Patriots couldn't both lose. I wounded up going for the Patriots again to my loss. When Eli throw that miraculous pass on their last drive I knew the Giants would win again. All is well as it kept the Patriots from moving one game closer to the Steelers' six Super Bowl titles and gave the Giants only their 4th title. The Steelers won again in that regard.2012-02-06T17:59:49-06:00